Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Time for a Top Ten List

Song du Jour: Science & Faith by The Script

Album of the Year: Amélie de Montmartre or Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amélie Poulain by Yann Tiersen

I've been toying for some time with the idea of doing a top ten list. However, deciding what it would be about was the difficult thing, and I have taken some weeks to come to a conclusion. While doing Google searches of movies, I found I would often write "Amelie good," or "500 Days of Summer best breakup movie," and the like. What I was doing, I realized, was trying to figure out what movies people valued the most and trying to see if any of my favorites had made it onto their "Top Ten" lists.

Understanding that, I realized that, if I couldn't find what I was looking for, why not be the one who actually puts those thoughts out there? I am in a position, as a blogger, to be able to post about my own opinions and ideas; it's kind of what I do on a regular basis. So the decision is made: my first top ten list is going to be a discussion of my favorite films. These are movies that have stuck with me for years and will for years to come. For a couple weeks I have pondered on where on the list each of these movies goes and I think I have a solid list. Number one - my absolute favorite movie of all time - is far, far, far above all the rest in my eyes.

So here we go:

10. Metropolis (2001)


I'm pretty sure this is a lesser known movie. It's inspired by a 1949 manga that is in turn inspired by a 1927 film of the same name, though the plots are utterly dissimilar. Metropolis takes place in a city where robots and humans both dwell, though there is a problem of human-robot segregation and strong anti-robotic sentiment. Throughout the course of the movie the head of Metropolis, named Duke Red, is overseeing the construction of a tremendous tower, or ziggurat. Things come to a head when the main character, Kenichi, encounters a lost robot girl named Tima. The course of events lead the characters into the heart of the metropolis itself. I'm not going to say too much because I would like not to give away too many spoilers.

I chose this movie because it's one of the most beautifully crafted animes I have viewed, while also being unconventional in its art style. You can see, in the scene pictured above, that the human stylings are a bit more rounded than you'd see in classic anime. The plot moves quickly, keeping us constantly moving and, while not an especially new story in the world of science fiction, it does bring to question many issues that plague society to this day. However, the real reason I put this movie on the list is the climax of the movie - the decision to use I Can't Stop Loving You by Ray Charles to depict a truly tremendous closing scene was a brilliant one on the studio team's part (many notable names were on the studio crew so I'll just say "studio team") and the soundtrack, written by Toshiyuki Honda, is jazzy, upbeat and so exciting. This movie was an immediate choice for my top ten list.


9. (500) Days of Summer (2009)


(500) Days of Summer is, in my mind, the quintessential breakup film while also not being so at the same time (I will explain). It covers the time in which a greeting card writer named Tom (heehee!) meets, starts dating, falls in love with, is dumped by and deals with getting over a woman named Summer. It expertly approaches the dynamics of emotion that one faces in a breakup, and even addresses the varying ways in which someone can remember an ex. Though it begins immediately following Tom and Summer's breakup, it ultimately covers the relationship from the perspective of Tom's memory.

A witty, charming, quirky, extremely indie and well-crafted non romance, (500) Days of Summer is arguably the most realistic approach to relationships I have ever seen. I will warn you now that it is not something to watch immediately following a breakup. I would argue that it is best for when some time has passed and you have gained some distance emotionally. The reason is that this movie is really about how, sometimes, a relationship just isn't right. Sometimes it's not meant to be, and that can be okay, because trying to force something to be when it's not meant to be is a recipe for misery. Even though many couples who reunite after some time are happy and spend the rest of their lives together, when it's not right, it's not. Despite this message, the movie ends on an optimistic note. While not something to watch when you're still in the early stages of grief after an ended relationship, (500) Days of Summer is a delightful gem.


8. I <3 Huckabees (2004)


I discovered this movie very recently. My friend Greg lent me the DVD about a month back and Amanda and I watched it together. It seems like Amanda did not care much for it, but I loved it. I <3 Huckabees is a wonderfully cerebral comedy about a man who is trying to find the answers to a series of coincidences that he feels might hold the key to his future. What ensues is a philosophical war between two different belief systems, and a comedy that had me laughing pretty much the whole time.

I <3 Huckabees is a quirky, upbeat comedy that combines thoughtful and serious discussion on the workings of the universe with totally out there, goofy dialogue. The performances are top notch and it was great to see Mark Wahlberg in an entirely non-serious role - something I've never seen before. Obviously I need to see more movies that have Mark Wahlberg in them. Beautifully written and filmed.


7. Papillon (1973)


Another film on the list that has Dustin Hoffman in it. In this film about Henri "Papillon" Charrière, who is sent to a penal colony in French Guiana for the murder of a pimp, Steve McQueen portrays the title character while Hoffman portrays his fellow inmate and friend Louis Dega. It follows the true story of Charrière's false incarceration and subsequent attempts to escape.

Papillon is a dark, richly developed and pointed view on the hardships of life on the penal colonies during that time period. Given that it is also the true story of Papillon's struggles, it's even crazier to think of what he endured in French Guiana. The most stark scene occurs when Papillon is in solitary confinement and has a dream that forces him to face the reality of the life he led before his imprisonment. McQueen and Hoffman are at the top of their games in this story and their on-screen chemistry is undeniable.


6. The Godfather (1972)


Let's face it, The Godfather was destined to be on this list. In large part it has a lot of personal meaning to me; I first saw this film when I was a freshman in college, learning a lot about life and about myself. The timing of my viewing of this movie was great, given that I've been told "you're not a real man until you've seen The Godfather." I think that that was a joke, but if it wasn't, I've had my viewing!

This movie... lord I'm not even sure where to start. It gives an incredible view into the life of a mafia family and the violence that comes with being involved in the criminal underworld. Marlon Brando gives one of the best performances he ever did in his lifetime, and The Godfather was my first experience with Al Pacino. Given that the movie predominantly covers his turn from innocent son of a ruthless crime boss to a crime boss himself, it's his performance that, to me, makes it one of the best films I've ever watched.


5. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)


Where Metropolis is the only sci-fi movie on this list, it's Howl's Moving Castle that has become the only fantasy film that I truly found deserving (fans of Lord of the Rings, don't hate me). In a world that is plagued by predominantly one-note fantasy, it has always been refreshing to turn to HMC. Though it is based on a novel by Diana Wynn Jones, it digresses a lot from the plot of the book. This doesn't bother me in the least, because the story of this movie is as original and out there as it can be.

When a young girl meets the wizard Howl - famed for his supposed penchant for "devouring young ladies' hearts" - she instigates the wrath of the equally famed Witch of the Waste, who turns her into an old woman. The result is an adventure into "The Wastes" to find a means by which she can remove the indelible curse. It's a story of coming of age (quite literally), of learning to believe in oneself, and of the discovery of courage in places where we might never have expected to find it. I adore this film, still watch it on a regular basis, and on top of a strong emotional connection that I have to it, it also has a phenomenal score by Joe Hisaishi, who has composed for the vast majority - if not all - of Miyazaki films.


4. Marathon Man (1976)


This is one of the creepiest movies I have ever seen, and yes it is yet another Dustin Hoffman movie. This 1976 thriller is about a Nazi war criminal, portrayed by Laurence Olivier, who comes to the United States in search of something (I won't say what, watch the movie!) that he believes Hoffman's character, named Thomas (woohoo!) "Babe" Levy, has. His pursuit and torture of Levy with dental equipment, as well as repeated use of the question "Is it safe?" is one of the most chilling things I've witnessed in cinema.

I love Olivier, and I think I've enjoyed every single one of his films that I've seen. This one in particular, though, has always stuck out to me. This entire film had me on the edge of my seat and, though it's been some years since I've seen it, it is one of the first that I think of whenever people ask me for suggestions of a good film to watch.


3. Jaws (1975)


Ah, here we are in the top three, and to kick them off, I'd like to discuss Jaws. As a kid, I hated this film. My family watches it every year around the same time - fourth of July, which is the holiday around which the events of Jaws take place. But when I was younger, I simply could not get past the first scene. I remember my dad wanted me to try it out, and the result was me running downstairs and crying to my sister. I think Dad still feels bad about it.

It was only when I was a little older, and had the courage to stick it out, that I realized how incredible a film I had been missing out on. To start, I will say that I don't think Jaws is a horror film. It has horrific and thrilling aspects to it, yes, but it is much more along the lines an adventure movie. If the sequence of events resulting in three men going on an adventure to hunt down a rampaging shark does not convince you, then listen to John Williams' score and tell me it doesn't conjure up a single thought of pirates and sea shanties. Not to mention the fact that despite all of the fear that the shark has managed to create - much of it unfounded - nothing is as disturbing or menacing as Quint's (Robert Shaw's character, modeled strongly off of Captain Ahab of Moby Dick) discussion of the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis.


2. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)


Number two on this list is The Shawshank Redemption. Shawshank and Jaws really duked it out; it was difficult for me to decide which would be placed in number three, and which would take the number two slot. After serious consideration, I chose Shawshank. This is yet another prison film, about a man named Andy Dufresne (portrayed by Tim Robbins) who is wrongly condemned for the murder "of his wife and the fella she was bangin'" as Ellis "Red" Redding (Morgan Freeman) puts it.

Everything about this film, from it's stark opening that leads even the viewers to suspect that Dufresne is guilty, to it's intricate plot, to it's cold view of prison corruption, to Morgan Freeman's narration (I love Freeman's voice) to the score, is phenomenal. Plus, at the end of the film we learn the true meaning of unreliable narrator, and learn that we have been misdirected the whole time. No, it's not an M Night Shyamalan plot twist, but rather something much more subtle that, if you see it, makes the experience that much more enriching.


1. Amélie de Montmartre (or) Le Fabuleux Destin D'Amélie Poulain (2001)


This movie was destined to be in the number one slot. There is no movie that I enjoy as much as I enjoy Amelie. When I decided I wanted to do a top ten movie list, I knew right off that bat that this was number one. Amelie is about a young woman who was grown up in isolation and has developed an innocent, colorful and naive view of the world. Though she spent much of her life enjoying her isolation, a series of events occurs that shows her that joy can be found from helping others find happiness, and that she can even help herself find true happiness. It's a story about finding a different kind of courage than most stories discuss.

I could ramble forever about this movie, but in short it gave me a wonderful and fresh new outtake on life. It's a whimsical, lighthearted and amusing love story that captures the heart of Amelie Poulain in its narrative. I love stories that are character driven, and would choose a character driven plot over a plot driven plot in a heartbeat. The dynamic between the characters in the coffee shop where Amelie works is the cherry on this sundae of delight. The romantic storyline is adorable, heartwarming, and blessedly understated. The soundtrack, by Yann Tiersen, is emmersive without being overbearing - I really do listen to it at least once a day. In my mind, Amelie is a masterpiece, entirely worth of being a part of anyone's movie collection.

So long as you're okay with subtitles.

-Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment